Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post Election Reaction

Although I was leaning more towards McCain to win, congratulations to Obama! This election is definately a major change in history, being the first African American president. It was a long, difficult race and I am sure both candidates are relieved that it is over. This election is definately a major "milestone" in history and the entire world knows that. The day after the election (along with the rest of the world) went out and bought 3 different newspapers to have as a keepsake in my scrapbook, along with other memorabilia that I collected during the election from various rallies I attended. According to a CNN.com article, "Newspapers were flying off the rack" the day after the big news. Newspapers were rushed to print thousands of extra copies to meet the high demand.
I kind of was expecting Obama to win, however I kind of wasn't. Yes, if you watched the polls of course you would think that Obama was going to win. Then I started thinking maybe this is just what the media wants us to think...there's no doubt that our media has more of a democratic view - I mean this is what allows them to do what they do, not having to be conservative allows for more stories, for opinions, etc.
No matter who won I will stand behind them and support them. I am not mad nor am I against Obama - and I wish everyone in the world had this attitude. Even my parents said, "Yes we wanted McCain to win but the fact is, is that Obama won. He is our new president. We will stand behind him and support him." There's no use in bashing him. Will that get us anywhere in life? No. It won't help things get better, it's not going to change things. People on both sides need to be wise with their reactions to this situation. Republicans don't need to "hide under the covers" for the next 4 years, they don't need to go against Obama and bash his thoughts. That's immature and not respectable. Democrats don't need to be in Republican's faces rubbing it in, we're not in 3rd grade anymore guys...- also, democrats don't need to be bashing McCain. Again, that would be immature and not respectable. We all need to unite and support each other, if we don't do that then how will we move forward and accomplish great things? That being said, it was a long campaign, a long 20 month process that both candidates dedicated so much to. It was a race well fought.

The speeches that night were both well done, after hearing them I feel as though both were genuine. McCain's speech was good and did a good job in having faith in Obama. However, when McCain mentioned Obama the crowd would "boo" - this I thought was very rude. McCain then tried to hush the crowd by saying "please please...".
Obama's speech was excellent as well. There were two parts of his speech that really stood out to me. "The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America -- I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you -- we as a people will get there..." This stood out to me because it shows that he recognizes that he has to deal with some serious issues, he has his work cut out for him and alot to prove. It also shows his enthusiasm to tackle these problems. Which is a characteristic that everyone looks for in a president. Another part of his speech that stood out to me was, "To those Americans whose support I have yet to earn -- I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your president too." I thought this was a very good thing to say - he was addressing the Republicans and telling them that they still matter and he will try his best to represent them and their opinions as well....he just asks that they support him.

3 comments:

ktblash said...

Wow how insightful. I saw you blogging as we were in class. You summarized the emotions I was feeling so well.

ktblash said...

wow you totally summed up how I was feeling

ktblash said...

OK so now I see you added moderation. Sorry about the sending the same message twice.