Wednesday, October 22, 2008

When does importance of safety have priority over individual rights?

Many are starting to ask the question, "when does safety become a priority over individual rights..?" In 3 new American airports and along borders they have installed X-ray machines that "hat peeks underneath passengers' clothing to search for guns, bombs or liquid explosives" (CNN). Many Americans are against this new device, they do not like it at all. They believe it is a violation of their personal rights. Although it IS understandable that they believe it is a violation of personal rights - I believe that this new xray machine is a great idea. In this case, I believe security and safety comes first. For example... walking through an airport, I'd rather know that I am safe and that the guy sitting next to me doesn't have any weaponry or explosives..then to be concerned with whether this new "detector or safety device" violates a personal right.

1 comment:

ktblash said...

It comes down the group or the individual. I agree I would side with protection of the safety of the group rather than the safety of personal rights